What do I wear to my engagement session?
Can be one of the many questions you may have before showing up to your session and here are a few things I like to remind my couples which can make a difference between a good image and a great one.
- DON’T DO MATCHY-MATCHY: I know that a few decades ago it was very popular to have all the people involved in the picture wear a white shirt and jeans but now a days I always tell couples that your engagement session is a time to show your individuality and personalities. Compliment each other’s outfits and wear something that makes you feel comfortable. For example: Pick your outfit (ladies) and try to find one color on your outfit that compliments his outfit or that can tie it all together.
- NO OPEN TOE SHOES FOR GUYS: No flip flops or anything of the beach variety. Why do I say this? They do not photograph well. LADIES: your open toe heels – YES!!! Your cute flip flops – NOT SO MUCH 🙁
- WEAR NICE CLOTHES: It’s not often you have a professional photographer take your picture, take advantage of this opportunity but always be yourself and feel comfortable with what you are wearing. Don’t try to wear something you are not used to.
- ACCESSORIZE: This can be the thing that ties your outfit to his but it also adds color to your outfit.
- MAKEUP: Avoid using SPF lotions before you apply your makeup as it makes your skin look a little shiny. Apply more makeup than usual, the camera will tone it down a bit. I know not everyone is able to hire a professional makeup artist but I really recommend it.
- You can schedule your wedding hair and makeup trial for the same day of your engagement session but keep in mind that our session could get re-scheduled because of weather. Here are the wonderful ladies I’ve worked with in the pasts and that have done a wonderful job: BLUSHD BEAUTY/ KARA SANCHEZ / SHARON MARIE MAKEUP (depending on your location and budget)
Here is an engagement session I did a few weeks ago with this amazing couple. Cory and Jessica are a great example of what to wear to your engagement session. Did I mention I am IN LOVE with Jessica’s lipstick choice? I have to say, I also love the fact that Cory dressed up for the occasion and their pictures are amazing.
If you are looking for more ideas on what to wear, don’t forget to check out these other engagement sessions