What should we wear? Is the most common question my clients ask when getting ready for their session, so here are a few pointers on how to plan your family session outfits:
- Pick one outfit (usually mom’s but not always) and coordinate from there: If OUTFIT 1 is a pattern with colors, you can take those colors and use them for other family members. Example: Baby is wearing flannel pattern with blues, burgundy and Khaki, mom kept it simple for both parents and used those khaki tones for her little girl’s dress.
- Not everyone with busy patterns: If you are not sure, solid colors are never wrong. Try to find colors like army green, blues, burgundy, mustards, black, purples, grays or cream. Try to stay away from BRIGHT RED or ALL WHITE TOPS. Red reflects red onto your skin and white reflects too much light and washes out details in your clothing. If you must pick something white, pair it with a blazer, jean jacket or a colorful scarf. This will break out the predominantly reflective surface.
- Patterns can look great if paired correctly: This beautiful family did a wonderful job coordinating their clothing! They booked an “URBAN” family session and from our conversations, we knew we wanted to use black, flannel, mustard, and gray tones. Dad and little girl are wearing reds with black which go great with mom’s simple striped pants and older sister’s black pants. Boy is wearing neutral colors and for a pop of color, older sister is wearing a mustard top and jacket. Bring in those accessories and voila! PERFECT!
- Dress for the season: If you are getting your portraits done in the summer, don’t make the family wear fall clothing as they will be uncomfortable in the heat. If you are having your portraits in the fall and the weather is cool or cold, please add jackets, scarves, boots and hats to stay warm. No summer clothing during winter months, it will make your session unpleasant and we might not have as many great images as desired.
- Colors that photograph well: Blues, Purples, Black, Gray, Mustard, Burgundy, Army green, Cream (not white).
- Things to avoid: Flip flops, open toe shoes on men/children. Moms can wear open toe sandals or heels. NO MATCHY-MATCHY – this is your chance to show your family’s personality through pictures and have these memories captured for years to come. Play with your outfit combinations and if you are not sure, don’t hesitate to text me a picture of your outfits together and I will be happy to help.
- Is not everyday you get to do professional family photos, so it’s o.k to dress up.
For more ideas on what to wear for your family session, visit my Pinterest Board – HERE
I cannot wait for our session! I am here to help so please don’t hesitate to text, email or call me. If you are a family of two, you can also visit this link HERE